Sunday, September 26, 2010

Robby's Cafe

Portage has a new cafe! Located at the Shoppes of Romance Village.  I love little diners and cafes, and our little town needed more.  I tried Robby's breakfast menu.  I was a little surprised to see some of the options that were offered like Gyro omelet and crepes.  Robby's gourmet pancake menu was ample with options, I tried their malted pancakes which came as a side to my eggs Benedict.  I have always believed that a breakfast joint can only be great if they have good eggs Benedict and good biscuits and gravy, so when I try a new breakfast place that's the first thing I try.  Like I said before, I ordered eggs Benedict with a side of malted pancakes, a half order of biscuits and gravy and pork sausage links.  I also ordered blueberry crepes for my daughter which came as three crepes filled and topped with a blueberry relish. I say relish because they weren't fresh blueberries or a blueberry sauce, but kind of a chunky blueberry gelatin or a jam.   The
crepes were a little thick and a bit on the bland side, but the blueberry relish filled in where the crepes themselves were lacking in flavor.  My daughter seemed to like them just fine, but I thought they could have used more butter, it is a French dish after all.  I wouldn't order the crepes on a regular basis but I do want to try their cherry crepes, so I will give them another chance.  The eggs Benedict was great. The English muffin was not tough at all, which seems to be a reoccurring problem at breakfast joints. The ham was thinly sliced and had great flavor. The eggs where not poached but still cooked perfectly with a nice runny yoke and tender whites. The hollandaise sauce was good and I hope it was made in house, otherwise I need to tell GFS "Good job!" on their hollandaise.  The potatoes served on the side where under seasoned but not a big deal, they were kind enough to put salt and pepper on the table.  The malted pancakes
that I got on the side didn't have enough malt flavor but were cooked perfectly.  The biscuits and gravy had a great creaminess and a good flavor with a little bit of a sweetness on the finish with plenty of crumbled sausage. The biscuits were nothing too special and neither were the sausage links.
Overall, I would say that with a little work, Robby's could be a main stay cafe in Portage. I am willing to try them again, because they have a lot of potential.  I definitely want to try their lunch and dinner menu and when I do, it will be blogged.

2 comments:

  1. Michael I enjoy reading ur blogs ;) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries mmmmmm! Breakfast anytime of the day is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete