Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wedding Cake


I made my first wedding cake this week and it was more of a pain than I thought it would be.  Actually it was stressful.  Cake, fillings, frosting, fondant, stand and decorations, a lot of work.  I am really glad I agreed to make it though.  The experience was well worth it.  I made a three tier cake. Baking a 14 in. round has a bit of a learning curve. That bottom tier was the most work of the whole cake. It was a 14 in. chocolate with
 French vanilla chocolate chip custard and a super sweet vanilla butter cream frosting.  The chocolate cake recipe I use is a little harder to make than a traditional recipe, it's almost like a brownie cake hybrid.  The cake turned out awesome, dense but not too dense with a bitter but sweet cocoa flavor. It took six hours to bake but the outcome was worth it.  The cake has a great texture and it holds fillings perfect.  The filling I made was
a French vanilla custard with a hint of nutmeg and semi sweet chocolate chips.  Then I finished the tier off with a sweet sugary white butter cream frosting and ivory marshmallow fondant.  The top two tiers one of which was a 10 in. and the other was a 6 in..  Both tiers where identical, very dense yellow cake and the best yellow cake recipe I have ever come across.  When you eat a slice of my yellow cake it brings up memories of being a kid at birthday parties and it even has a slight butter milk pancake taste.  It's absolutely wonderful.  I filled the tiers with chocolate butter cream and fresh raspberry crush.  I decorated the cake with a 3D cherry blossom tree and pink flowers.  I had to buy flowers. I haven't quite gotten the hang of making good flowers.  Over all I think the cake turned out great and I hope the bride and groom enjoyed it on their very special day.

4 comments:

  1. Very impressed! Looks like it turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. would love your recipe for yellow cake...if it's not a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a talent my son has, that was one beautful cake, congrats son! Wish i could taste it!

    ReplyDelete