Monday, September 6, 2010

Mitchell's Fish Market



My wife and her parents took me out to dinner for my birthday.  It was a wonderful night, my in-laws are a lot of fun to go out with .  We drove up to Mitchell's Fish Market in Lansing, I know it's not a restaurant in Kalamazoo, but  Mitchell's is blog worthy for sure.  There aren't too many chain restaurants that I am willing to blog about but Mitchell's Fish Market is for sure a fantastic sea food place. I have had my fare share of fresh sea food, and shrimp is my favorite food of all time. Lobster, crab, mussels and scallops round out my top five.  This place has some really nice fresh sea food. You get an eye full of their fish fillets when
 you walk in, everything from Yellow Fin Tuna to Atlantic Cod.  They had a small but good looking oyster bar, and if I had the time I could spend all day putting `em back at that bar!  I started with lobster bisque. I can never pass up lobster bisque.  The bisque was smooth like velvet with a delicate balance of tomato, cream and a slight cheesiness.  The little bits of lobster were a nice touch.  I hope they don't buy their bisque pre-made, I would feel like a fake foodie if so.   For my entrée which was a real hard decision I went with the jumbo lump crab cake and broiled shrimp.  The crab cake was good. Because I'm from the East Coast I am picky about seafood, but the crab cake impressed me.  I'm pretty sure it was blue crab. There were good sized lumps of crab with pretty much no filler. There was a nice brininess with a slight sweetness from what I assume is dry mustard bringing out the full flavor of the crab.  The garlic broiled shrimp was cooked absolutely perfect, tender with a snap, the way shrimp should be. Too many people over cook and over season their shrimp. Mitchell's chef's know what they are doing.  The dish came with a sweet corn sauté which was basically a corn salsa. It was a nice compliment and added a little acid to the sweetness of the seafood.  I finished with a triple chocolate mousse cake which was obviously not made in house, but was still good, like a big slice of chocolate truffle.  I have been to Mitchell's Fish Market twice and both times I loved what I got. It's nice having a seafood place in southwest Michigan even if it's an hour away.  So far, it has been worth the trip.

2 comments:

  1. Sharing a meal with family is always fun and memorable but birthday dinners are extra special. Does Mitchell's make their tartar and cocktail sauces homemade? I had Cracker Barrel's lemon pepper rainbow trout and the tartar tasted homemade--very yummy but I am jealous of that crab cake you had-my fav and you described it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitchell's operates a scratch kitchen. All their sauces, dressings, desserts, etc. are made from scratch.

    ReplyDelete