Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sushiya and Smash Burger

What a wonderful weekend!  Saturday was a very satisfying day with a trip to the Kalamazoo Farmers Market.  The nectarine season is soon coming to an end so get out to the farmers market and get some, the ones I got are delicious.
Dinner at Sushiya with good friends was the beginning of the evening.  I always start my meal at Sushiya with a seaweed salad.  I just can't resist the crunch of the seaweed and the smokiness of the sesame oil and the twist of lemon really brings the acidic balance that the dish deserves.  I have been going to Sushiya for a couple of years and they have fantastic sushi. I think by now I have tried about every single sushi roll.  I went with the Kalamazoo Roll and an Eel Roll this time around, mostly because they both have eel and I absolutely love eel.  Every roll I have had is great but I think that over all the roll I like the most would have to be the very well rounded Spider Roll.  If you love sushi and live in the area I would suggest making the trip.  The only down side is how long it takes to make your choice from the extensive menu, but you can't really complain about having too many great choices.  Saturday ended with some drinks and wonderful conversation.  Great night overall.
Sunday was just as good as Saturday.  Some grocery shopping and we tried out the new burger joint in town,  Smash Burger.  It was good.  The place is kind of like a chic designer greasy spoon.  All the flavors of a mom and pop burger joint with nu-wave fashion.  The place was packed and for good reason, the food was good.  I got their 1/2 lb. Mushroom Swiss with garlic sautéed mushrooms, Swiss cheese and mayo on an egg bun.  The patty was larger than the bun and cooked perfectly.  The egg bun was a nice touch it had great flavor, flakiness and just the right amount of chewiness almost like a soft warm croissant.  The Smash Fries are definitely something to mention, just plain 'ol fries tossed with rosemary, olive oil and garlic, but done so well.  Those fries are for sure a winner, hard to stop eating.  Over all I liked Smash Burger but I don't think my arteries could take even a weekly dose of the "Glam Greasy Spoon".  Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
http://sushiyausa.com/
http://www.smashburger.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sushi, no thanks. Yes, I've tried it. I like that the flavor of the fish is right there, but I just can't do the texture. As for the Smash Burger...now you're talking my language! Those fries with rosemary, garlic and olive oil...sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete