Friday, August 20, 2010

Street Food

I am a huge fan of street vendor food.  Being from the east coast where a street vendor of sorts exist on every street corner and in the middle of every intersection (yes I am exaggerating) I will always have a soft spot for a good food cart.  I was pleased to find that Kalamazoo has a couple carts, I work during the day so I had no idea.
The first of two stands was Dads Dogs who are located in the court yard beside the Radisson Hotel right at the mouth of the Kalamazoo Mall.  DD's is serving up Koegel's hot dogs, Italian sausage, Chicago dogs and chili dogs using as much local produce and ingredients as possible.  I'm a sucker for a good Chicago dog so I gave DD's a try.  It was a grilled Koegel's on a steamed poppy seed bun with all the correct toppings, the relish is awesome made locally farm fresh, hydroponic tomatoes very juicy and flavorful.  Over all best Chicago dog in town.  Too bad they are only open for lunch.
The second vendor is Mangia Mangia/ Bogie's who also only serving for lunch.  MM/B's is doing all kinds of grilled meats for the lunch crowed Italian sausage, Hebrew National hot dogs, burgers, BBQ chicken and veggie burgers.  I have had their hot dogs before you can never go wrong with a Hebrew National juicy, great flavor and a good snap.  MM/B's is also serving up delicious home made chips almost like a kettle cooked chip, desserts like cookies and brownies and fresh squeezed lemonade.  MM/B's is not a food cart but just because you don't have wheels on your grill doesn't mean you don't make good street food.
However I would have to give my vote for better street food to Dads Dogs for sure.  DD's is pushing out great flavor's and keeping it simple and traditional which is MM/B's down fall.  MM/B's is great but to much going on for a side walk affair if I wanted to read a menu I would go to a sit down restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment