Saturday, August 21, 2010

Home Cooking

I was going to blog about the Kalamazoo Farmers Market tonight, but after finally perfected my spaghetti sauce I feel compelled to share it with everyone!  I've made marinara sauce from scratch plenty of times tweaking things here and there and now have a winning combination.   I used all fresh ingredients that I picked up at the farmers market.  It is a spicy arrabbiata sauce I think the key to the whole thing is fresh herbs and spices.  This dish is really full of flavor every bite puts a smile on your face!
Arrabbiata Clifford
4lbs Roma tomatoes (halved)
1 c green pepper (chopped)
1 c red pepper (chopped)
1 c sweet yellow onion (chopped)
2 c mini Bella mushrooms (rough chopped)
1-2 lbs hot Italian sausage                                        
1 c extra virgin olive oil                                                        
2 tbs minced garlic                                                                        
2 tbs fresh basil (minced)                                                              
2 tbs fresh oregano (minced)                                      
1 tbs kosher sea salt                                                      
1 tbs cracked black pepper                                          
1 tsp re pepper flack
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
4 tbs white wine
2 tsp white sugar
2 c water
12 oz tomato paste
4 tbs butter
Spice bag:
1 tsp rosemary
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme
Sausage: I like to boil mine to retain the flavor and heat. Boil till cooked through then cut up and put in sauce.
Cooking: Preheat oven to 400oF
Cut tomatoes in half longways, drizzle with half he olive oil, spread half of the minced garlic sprinkle with half of the oregano and basil bake for 35 min.  Press through a sieve in to stock pot and discard skins and seeds.
While tomatoes are cooking sauté peppers, onions and mushrooms in butter till peppers are soft and onions are translucent.  dump all veggies in to stock pot add wine, vinegar, water, all remaining spices, spice bag, tomato paste cook 1.5 - 2 hours on low heat.
Poor over pasta I prefer an al dente spaghetti noodle.

I really hope you enjoy this I worked really hard on it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Oh My...I simply must have my chef try. (Its a bit too much chopping for me. Id cut my thumb off for sure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best sauce I've ever had in my entire life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of work, but I LOVE a good sauce so I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete