Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kalamazoo Farmers Market
















On Saturday my family and I went to the Kalamazoo Farmers Market.  If you live in Kalamazoo and haven't made your way over to our farmers market I strongly suggest that you do.  It is located at 1200 Bank Street over by Upjohn park.  I have been going to this farmers market for the last couple years and it gets bigger and better every year.  You can get a variety of farm fresh fruits and veggies that are a must buy for your produce drawer.  I like to buy from a couple different vendors but when it comes to bell peppers, carrots, lettuce and celery I like to shop the Visser Farms booth. Across from Visser Farms huge and very busy booth is a little booth with one kindly gentleman who I am not sure if he is from a farm or not but he has the most delicious cantaloupe I have ever tasted.  Remember, when it comes to cantaloupe do not judge a book by it's cover if it is ugly it probably taste great.  To pick a good one you want to smell the "vine hole" as I like to call it, that's the end that the vine was connected to the melon.  The stronger it smells like a melon the riper it is. 
You can also get fresh baked Amish bread and sweets.  There are booths selling crafts, flowers, spices, soaps, granola, and even meats.  Papa's Italian Sausage has been setting up a cart selling the best hot Italian sausage in town for years.  Seriously, if you follow any advice I ever give, Papa's Italian sausage off of Kings highway is a must eat destination!!! I have had most of the items on their menu and everything is great! 
The Kalamazoo Farmers Market has grown so large the people are setting up booths along the side walk and in the parking lot including a BBQ guy who does smoked BBQ ribs, chicken and even turkey.  
If you get a chance on a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday make a trip to the Kalamazoo Farmers Market and invest in farm fresh and local goods you won't be disappointed! 











3 comments:

  1. Farmers market is always entertainment for me. I guess those of us who really like to cook enjoy looking at food displayed pretty like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this where you took me when I was there?

    ReplyDelete