Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cheese Cake with Candied Figs

The purpose of my blog is to share my experience of food.  I have been selfishly blogging about restaurants and not sharing enough personal food things, so in this blog I will share with you my experience with cheese cake.
I love cheese cake!  I make cheese cake more then any other dessert.  Cheese cake is also the most requested dessert that I make.  My wife's birthday was at the beginning of the month and I wanted to wow her with an amazing cheese cake.  I decided to try the "New York" style, which I have never really done. I usually make a country style or Philadelphia style.  I also wanted to top the cake with something different and I had some inspiration from my meal at Rustica, so I candied some figs.  Most people might not think that there is a difference but I assure you, there is.  What I like about the New York style cheese cake is the lighter, smoother texture and it is sweet but not too rich.  I looked up a couple of recipes and pulled the things I liked most from them. If you have some time, try this recipe. 
Topping:
30 oz Softened Cream Cheese
14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs
Crust:
I like to use crushed up honey Teddy Grahams for my pie crust. I think they give the perfect flavor and a nice crunchy texture.  I also use a whole box to get a really thick crust.  
1 box Honey Teddy Grahams Crumbed
1/3 c Melted Butter
1/4 c Light Brown Sugar 
  • Preheat oven to 325 F.
  • Mix crumbed Teddy Grahams, butter, and brown sugar till well mixed and firmly press in to bottom of 9'' spring form pan and bake for 10 minutes.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.
  • Gradually add sweetened condensed milk beating until smooth.
  • Add vanilla and eggs, scraping the bowl between eggs.  Mix well.
  • Pour into 9" spring form pan.
  • Bake in water bath for 1.5 hours.
  • Turn off oven and let pie stand in oven for another hour with the oven door propped open.
  • Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving.
Usually New York cheese cakes have buttermilk that give it a distinct flavor and texture, but I thought the sweetened condensed milk was a great touch. I believe that made the cake absolutely delicious.  Everything about the cake was perfect. It was smooth on the pallet with a mild richness.   The candied figs were a perfect touch to finish off such a perfect cake.  If you have never had figs give them a try.
  Over the years I have learned not to cheap out when it comes to vanilla. When it comes to cheese cake, a good vanilla can really bring out the full sweetness of the cream cheese.  I always cook my cheese cakes in a water bath. The best thing for this, I find, is my wedding cake set.  I put the 9" spring form inside the 10" cake pan and then put those into the 14" cake pan then fill the 14" pan half full with water.  I also cook my cakes on the bottom rack and cover the top rack with aluminum foil. This way I get an even bake and no excessive browning. 
Give this recipe a try you will not be disappointed!  Everyone who ate it said it was the best desert I have ever made.  My wife was extremely happy with her birthday cake.  This recipe will forever be my go to cheese cake.

 


4 comments:

  1. You did a great job writing this -Your love for Jess shines through! I think this is my favorite one you have done so far. You should dump the restaurant reviews and just put your own recipes and pics up- you narrated this so that even I can make it! The personal preferences and touches make it authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly you write the best comments! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I haven't done a lot of baking and had never heard of the water bath technique, so I'm interested to try that. For those of us that are freaked out by figs (I'm hoping I'm not alone!), is there anything else you could suggest as a topping?

    I agree with Holly - - this post had a really nice personal feel to it. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Catherine. Any fruit is always great on a cheese cake, raspberries are one of my favorites. Or you could go with more sugar and top it with chocolate. I was thinking of trying some brazed apples in a cinnamon sugar syrup topped with some nutmeg to fit the fall season.

    ReplyDelete