Sunday, October 31, 2010

Chili Con Carne

I am getting a lot of great feedback about blogging my own recipes, so for all of you out there who like what I 'm doing here is another Clifford inspired dish for you.  However next week I will be blogging a restaurant.
Fall is by far my favorite times of year.  So many great things happen in the fall, Oktoberfest, Pumpkin ales, leaves change to beautiful colors, hoodies, pumpkin pie, butternut squash and much much more.  I could do a blog just on the greatness of fall.  I can't think of fall without thinking of chili con carne.  Oh, chili old friend, no matter how many different variations you come in you will still be a special part of my fall.  If you have never had the experience of coming in from the cool crisp fall air and warming up with a delicious bowl of homemade chili you need to start a new tradition as soon as possible.  I like chili in pretty much ever fashion but I think my favorite would have to be the "red chili" variety.  Red chili is what I think most people think of when they are discussing chili.  It's the thick, creamy, red,  meaty style of chili with some beans that goes great by itself or on a burger or hot dog and surprisingly great on spaghetti pasta (Louisville style).
I like to cook my chili in my cast iron dutch oven. I think it adds to the authentic flavor even though I have to clean and re season it.  I also like to puree my caramelized onions and green peppers I do this for a couple different recipes and it works great every time.  This might seem weird but the true flavor of the onions and peppers really stand out this way and for people like my wife who loves the flavor but not the actual morsel of vegetable, this is a great alternative.
Chili Con Carne:
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1 white onion, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 stick butter
3 tbs paprika
1 tbs cayenne powder
2 tbs chili powder
1tbs crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tbs tbs Kosher sea salt
2 tbs crack black pepper
2 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs garlic powder
1 cube beef bouillon
24 oz stewed tomatoes, slightly pureed
1 c water
1/2 c salsa verde
1 can black beans, with liquid
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can dark red pinto beans, with liquid

On medium to high heat, sweat onions and peppers in the pot that you are making the chili in with the stick of butter.  When the onions are translucent pour the onions and peppers in to a blender and puree.  Add the ground beef to the pot with all the dry spices and mix till all spices are mixed in well, try to break the beef in to small bits.  When the beef looks cooked (about 15 minutes) add the puree, the slightly pureed tomatoes, water, beef bouillon, salsa verde, minced garlic, mix well and bring to a low boil.  Turn the temp to a simmer and let cook down for 30 minutes stirring often, then add all of the beans and and let it cook down for another 30 minutes.  I would suggest getting a good paprika for chili, the better the paprika the better and more full bodied the smoky flavor of the chili.  If the chili is not spicy enough add some more salsa verde or cayenne pepper, or any spicy pepper of your choice.

This recipe should feed about 8 people or so.  This is a wonderful chili. Full of flavor with a mild back heat and a nice meat flavor. It's smooth but still hearty.    I am really happy with this recipe, and I hope you like it as much as my family and I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment