Monday, October 11, 2010

Poor Richards Cafe

 It's time for another breakfast review.  I do a lot of dinner reviews so I need to mix things up a bit.  Every town has it's little hole in the wall, best breakfast ever, greasy spoon. Fortunately for Kalamazoo, we have Poor Richard's Cafe!  Poor Richard's, to me, is the best breakfast place in town.  Great food, large portions, good service and your food comes out quick.  Every time I eat there I am completely satisfied.
  I usually get the same thing, 6a, which is biscuits and gravy with hash browns and I order a side of sourdough toast.  Poor Richards does things a little different than other breakfast joints. To begin with, when you order hash browns they ask you if you want green peppers and/or onions.  I always get onions in mine and the hash browns are awesome. They are always cooked perfect and actually taste like potatoes and not grease.  If you order bacon you can have it cooked any way you want, even deep fried.  I am addicted to Poor Richards biscuits and gravy, and I order it more then anything else on the menu.  The gravy is made so well that I don't even add any seasoning. It's creamy, heavy, and peppery with a very slight sage finish.
The biscuits are what I would call country style. They are fluffy and buttery, not too flaky, and not too airy.  If you're in the mood for something sweet, I suggest their cinnamon roll which is the size of a large plate. It is best served warm with butter drizzled over the top, but make sure you have a group of people or a large appetite.  Poor Richards Cafe is the working man's breakfast place, but on any given morning the place is packed with day laborers, business men, church folk, college kids, doctors and bikers.  This place is so good that when family from out of town visit, they want to go to Poor Richards first.  I highly, highly recommend Poor Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment